San Agustin Church is one of the oldest churches built in the walled city known as Intramuros in the City of Manila during the Hispanic time.
The Baroque-Style San Agustin Church has stood the test of time and has survived numerous generations.
More than three hundred years after its consecration in 1607, San Agustin eventually declared as a national historic landmark in 1976.
Several years after that, the church finally caught the attention of UNESCO. Consequently, UNESCO acknowledged and declared the centuries-old church as a World Heritage Site in 1993.
The ancient church is not just rich in heritage but also in historical significance—not to mention its astonishing survival after the bombardment of the combined ground forces of the Americans and the Filipinos during the recapture of Manila from the clutches of the Japs in 1945.
For the record, the church is also the final resting place of the 16th century Spanish viceroy and navigator, Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, who discovered Manila in 1572.
San Agustin Church is regarded as the oldest church in Philippine Archipelago.